#91 – Here We Go Again…

(Sorry, this new post took quite some time as I was busy with a newborn and a toddler at home. It’s a good problem though. 🙂  )

After months of wondering how and when the second time labour will happen, it eventually happened on 29 Apr, Friday evening, when I was waiting for S by the roadside to pick me up after packing our dinner.

I felt a slight gush of discharge and then slight cramps in my lower abdomen. Throughout the drive back, the cramps became more frequent from every 15min to 5min. When I got home, I quickly checked and saw that the discharge was indeed mucous plug. After a quick call to the obstetrician, Dr. C advised me continue monitoring the contractions and proceed to hospital when it gets more frequent. So I decided to take a quick shower, wash my hair and have my dinner (although I really wasn’t sure if I could make it through dinner as the pain was getting more intense and definitely more frequent). I took a really quick bite anyway and waited for S to gobble up his dinner too. It was my favourite Sichuan food and really a pity that we had to throw most of it away as time (and pain) did not permit us to “fine-dine”.

Not forgetting that I need to look good in the pictures this time round, I started putting on make up on the drive to hospital, in between road humps and contractions. S looked at me in disbelief and exclaimed, “You can’t be serious?” Let’s put it this way, I did not regret looking better than the previous time in my post-partum pictures this time.

S dropped me off at the hospital and went to park his car. The kind security guard swiftly ushered me to the delivery suite and I was received by this nurse, let’s call her J. She started asking me all sorts of questions and mind you, the answers can be found in Dr. C’s hospital admission memo. I got a tad impatient and repeated that I’m having pretty frequent contractions and it’s best to get the epidural fast, especially cos I know for a fact that the drug will not work effectively after a certain point of dilation!

By the time she decided to call the anesthetist, I was already 7cm dilated. The doc came and admonished the nurses for being tardy in calling him. He also said something to the extent of “hope it’s not too late for epidural to work”. That’s one thing that I dread to hear since I’m not a fan of extreme pain. After administering the epidural, he quickly inserted the IV drip on my left wrist. Both needle pricks were surprisingly tolerable this time maybe cos I was already overwhelmed by the rather unbearable labour pain.

Guess what? The annoying nurse J continued asking me from the list of questions on her list. She went on and on to what seemed like eternity. I answered her as and when I could, i.e. in between contractions.

The labour progressed really fast. After about 2 hours, Dr. C came in to check on me while the other nurses swiftly got the apparatus ready. She examined me and told me that the delivery will be definitely that very night since my dilation was about 8cm then. She broke my water bag and I must say that it was quite a mess. Then she said that there was meconium in the sac and it’s critical that the dilation take place quickly or else we might have to consider c-sect. Now that’s really not my option so I prayed really hard for a swift dilation so that I can have a normal vagina birth.

I also took the opportunity to ask doc to increase the epidural dosage cos the pain seemed to have a way to catch up with the drug. R was monitoring the contractions and when I grimaced in extreme pain, he reported that it was the highest peak (i.e. worst contraction to-date). And for that, he was scolded by the senior nurse cos she said that such additional comment was not necessary. Hahaha!

There was another more elderly nurse who kept knocking onto the IV drip needle inserted into the right side of my left wrist. Under normal circumstances, it would have been excruciatingly painful for me. But with labour going on, it’s merely just relatively uncomfortable. Therefore, you can imagine the intensity of contractions. As a result of the constant knocking, the needle spot was severely bruised and it took a couple of weeks to recover.

Oh, how can I forget to mention that throughout this time when labour was progressing really fast, my dear husband was huffing and puffing and complaining to me about my decision to have the renovation during that time. He was obviously struggling with managing the contractors as the reno work couldn’t commence as planned since the hospital stay period was smacked during public holiday and weekend.

To be continued…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s